Category Archives: News

The Parish Council Response to Planning Application TWC/2018/0346 – Lawley Phase 11 Engineering Works

The Parish Council object to the engineering proposals and have issued a Call In Notice to ensure the application is formally discussed at Telford and Wrekin Council’s Planning Committee.

The Parish is particularly concerned about:

Drainage – It is clear from the objection received from the TWC Technical Officer that the information supplied is not thorough enough for the application to be considered at this stage. This site has obvious drainage issues and both Ward and Parish Councillors have been supporting residents over the last 2 years who have experienced regular flooding on their properties. Without the proper assessments required by the LLFA it is not clear if this work will improve the situation or indeed make the flooding problems worse. Residents have also provided anecdotal evidence that drainage from land and properties on the South side of the site, including Ladygrove School and the BT training centre, runs onto Lawley Common. Highway drainage is also thought to have been diverted onto the site in recent years.

The groundwater monitoring carried out in 2012 was clearly unsatisfactory as the applicants own report states that “only 3 of the 9 standpipes installed could be located due to the overgrown nature of the site and vandalism.”

We fully support the TWC Technical Officers objection and his requirement for additional information.

 Mining – It is clear from the objection by the Coal Authority, and information supplied by local residents who lived in the area at the time mining was being carried out, that the evidence supplied to support the application is not sufficient. As the Coal Authority state in their objection the information supporting the application is outdated and “a proper assessment of the coal mining legacy” should be carried out before the application is approved.

Public Rights of Way – The Application form states that the proposals do not require any diversions of rights of way yet the Planning statement clearly states (5.3) that Rights of Way will be temporarily affected by the reconfiguration of the land. In fact 5 Public Rights of Way (PROW) cross the site – LO41, LO43, LO44, LO45 and LO46, with LO41 being a significant and heavily used section of the historic Ironbridge Way. This also forms a main part of the Parish Council’s Heritage Lottery funded History Trail.

The Ironbridge Way is heavily used on a daily basis by residents to access the shops at Lawley Square, the Doctor and Dental surgeries off Martingale Way and the Lawley Primary Academy School, which has a pedestrian access off the footpath. It is also marked as part of the TWC designated cycle way and forms part of the T50 Trail recently launched as part of the TWC 50th anniversary celebrations. The other PROWs are popular with families, dog walkers and horse riders as the Common is one of the few unspoilt green areas left in Lawley.

Railway – The Planning Statement refers to the “disused railway tunnel” on the site. In fact the tunnel is not only used, it forms a fundamental part of the popular Telford Steam Railway Lawley Station site. Further information can be found in the comments from the Chair of the Telford Steam Railway on the TWC Planning Portal. We would suggest that the applicants liaise with the Steam Railway prior to work beginning as it will have a major impact on this popular tourist attraction.

Ecology – We have some concerns about the accuracy of ecological information provided with the application. Residents report significant wildlife activity on the site with both anecdotal and residential CCTV evidence of bats, birds, foxes and deer, particularly around the copse area. We would suggest that a more up to date survey be required before work is carried out on the site.

Site Access and Operating Hours – The Planning Statement (4.2) states that the spoil will be brought onto the site through Phase 7. Whilst it is not ideal that this amount of waste is being transported from sites around Telford to Lawley Drive the Parish believes that this will cause the least disruption to the majority of local residents. However, the Planning Statement goes on to state (5.2) that as part of the works “the trees around Lawley Circle will be removed.” This suggests that the applicants may be considering another site access via Martingale Way which is totally unacceptable. We ask that the applicants be asked to clarify why the trees have to be removed as part of this application.

Given the traffic congestion in the Lawley Drive/West Centre Way area at peak times, and the very large amounts of spoil being transported, we suggest that the lorries transporting soil be restricted from using the site at such busy times and that the operating hours for movement of spoil should be amended to 9am to 4pm.

Given the significant concerns raised by Parish and Ward Members, TWC Technical Officers and the Coal Authority over this application, in addition to the scores of residents who have lodged objections online and in writing to the Planning Authority we believe that it is only right that this application is addressed in detail by Telford and Wrekin Council’s Planning Committee, giving residents and Councillors the opportunity to publicly state their concerns.

Parish Council Response to Planning Application TWC/2018/0185 – Land corner of Colliers Way & Rock Road

The Parish Council is concerned that the application for Hickorys Smokehouse will have a significant impact on traffic on Rock Road and the junction with Colliers Way.

Whilst the revised plans address some of the initial concerns on design and opening hours the car park has been enlarged and can now hold 90 vehicles, which the applicants own transport assessment states will generate 65 vehicle movements per hour onto Rock Road at their peak times – lunchtime and afternoon / evening.

This is the third significant development proposal to be submitted in recent weeks which will impact on Rock Road, the others being Johnsons Recycling Centre ( which will generate a minimum of 50 HGV movements per day) and Lawley Development Phases 5 & 9 (the proposed link road from Phase 5 to Marlborough Way will allow the 362 new houses to exit  down Marlborough Way, past Newdale School and join Rock Road virtually opposite the entrance to Overdale).

Telford & Wrekin Council have a duty under their own Local Plan “to ensure the cumulative impact of development on local road networks are mitigated (Policy C3)” The Parish Council do not believe that the Planning and Highways Departments have sufficiently considered the cumulative impact on the local road network when responding to this, and the other 2 applications, and have formally requested that this application be submitted to TWC  Planning Committee . 





There is a consultation drop-in session on Thursday 9th August from 1.30pm – 4pm at our Parish office when you will have the opportunity to find out more about the proposals and to complete a consultation survey.

We have copies of the survey available if you cannot make this session or they are available to download or to complete on line via this link

The Future Fit Programme Board has agreed to extend the consultation by one week until midnight on Tuesday 11 September 2018.


The reserved matters application to build 362 houses on the land known as Phases 5 & 9 (between West Centre Way, Davenham Walk and the rear of Newdale Primary School) has been submitted by the Developers to Telford and Wrekin Council this week.

The application covers their proposals for access, appearance, landscaping and the development layout.

Full details can be found on the Telford and Wrekin website or by putting the reference TWC/2018/0601 into the link on our Planning Homepage.

The closing date for comments is the 13th August.


Between 27th June to 3rd July, there will be closures on A442 from Wombridge Interchange to Hollinswood Roundabout. This is to allow for one of the largest cranes in Europe to be erected and to lift the rail bridge as part of the Telford Footbridge project. This is one of the largest engineering projects in the Borough in recent years and will provide a new footbridge with lift access to the train station.  Inevitably this closure will cause significant disruption over this period. The southbound section of the dual carriageway will be closed to make way for the crane from June 27 to July 3. The northbound section will be closed for the safety of the public, from June 29 to July 3.

The official diversions will send drivers along West Centre Way, Lawley Drive and Holyhead Road in Ketley but it is likely that all routes through the Parish will see heavy additional traffic during this period.

Telford and Wrekin Council are keen to ensure disruption during this period is minimised and have suggested that residents should consider the following to avoid being severely impacted by the closure:

  • Plan your journeys in advance, the immediate routes off the A442 could be extremely busy during this period so there maybe some disruption.
  • Take alternative routes, try and avoid using the A442 if possible and find alternative routes across Telford or to the Town Centre if you do have to travel.
  • Take the opportunity to walk, cycle, car share or use the train if you do have to travel.

TWC Highways will be continually monitoring the traffic through their Traffic Management Centre. This allows them to monitor live journey times, monitor the traffic cameras and adjust traffic light timings remotely if necessary. They will also have officers on the ground monitoring the situation. TWC will be keeping their social media up to date through twitter and facebook and Radio Shropshire will also be providing updates as well.

This is the first of two bridge lifts that will need to be undertaken, with the 2nd bridge lifted into place around September time.