The Community Diabetes Specialist Nursing Service, part of the Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust, has started a new project looking at health inequalities in Type 2 diabetes education, especially in BAME communities.
“Our aim is to reach out to these communities to make them aware of our structured education programmes we offer patients with a formal diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes”, said a spokesperson.
They support patients with managing Type 2 diabetes “through a wider platform of opportunities”, as well as tackling local health inequalities.
Their training and support includes:
T2 diabetes management
- X-PERT courses run both face to face and virtual using Microsoft Teams.
- X-PERT Digital App. This is for people who are unable to attend either virtual or face to face sessions.
- X-PERT Weight. This is a 12-week weight loss programme run by X-PERT Health and is delivered virtually.
T2 Diabetes – Tackling Health Inequalities:
- Access to a foot care video to support the prevention of foot ulcers and peripheral nephropathy.
- Access to a smoking cessation app.
- Support in the home, where appropriate, to access T2 Diabetes education and support.
- Access to the X-PERT Digital in home language.
Anybody looking to take part can telephone 01743 277696, or send an email to email@example.com.